Monday, October 10, 2011

Christmas 2011 - A Green Christmas

This year I'm feeling extra thrifty and DIY and "Green" about Christmas. I plan on only giving gifts that I bought used, or already owned, or made myself. I also ask that anyone who is gifting our family this year do the same, either making something or buying from a consignment store. That way no one has to do crazy hours the day after Thanksgiving on our account.

I personally feel that giving these types of gifts are more often "from the heart" than what you can buy new, enclosed  in plastic casing. I don't need new stuff. I need stuff that didn't cost a bargain, that someone else already broke in, that still has some life left in it, or that was crafted with me in mind.

Gift ideas

I really like USEFUL stuff. That means stuff that just sits on my shelf is usually not a good idea. Decoration can be useful though, it just isn't the top of my "desired" list. This year I'd love it if Parker had more "outside toys" to play with. We already have a soccer ball, a basketball, and a volleyball. We have a front and backyard. I just wish he had a slide or something to climb on. (He's not a fan of swings, P.S.)

For me, I'd love anything storage related or organizational-related. I don't really need a whole lot though its just something I enjoy having.

There are a couple of more expensive items that I'm hoping we can afford this Christmas because they would make me so happy to have!

Item 1: Whole house filtration system
So, water in Texas is just as far bad as water in Utah is good. It is disgusting to drink, even smells gross to shower in. When I boil it (even filtered), it leaves a gross film on my pots. And I'm washing my dishes and cookware with this water? Crazy!
I got to searching and found this system at Lowe's. Whole house filtration for only $277? Sounds good enough to me. I'm sure its not the King of all filtration but it sure would be a major improvement! Anyway, I don't expect anyone to spend that much money on us so, you know, gift cards are always nice. :) Just make sure we haven't already bought it with Nick's Christmas bonus (hoping we still get it this year).

Item 2: Food Saver
This item is a bit cheaper. I'm developing my Mommy/Wifey skills and decided that being able to freeze meals with this fun toy would be "just the ticket" as my mom would say. Sometimes I just don't feel like cookin' (especially wish the occasional preggo sleepies that come on fast furiously!)...so that would be an awesome time to save on eating out by pulling out a pre-made concoction from the freezer! Hurray for awesome! I bet they have these for sale used on ebay...

Okay, I thought of something else...not that I expect anyone to immediately go for this one, but oh well...

Item 3: RAW Almonds (preferably organic)
This is the Harvest time of year for almonds, and there are only certain ways to get un-pasteurized almonds that can sprout! (greensmoothiegirl.com does a group buy, fyi) I'd love to receive a big amount of almonds for my food storage that I can use throughout the year in my raw food prep, and for making into yummy snacks! You can even keep some for yourself!